Tuesday, November 15, 2005

One afternoon at the United Bloggers Association License Office (UBALO) Petaling Jaya in a meeting with the license officer.

Thank you Encik Zed for coming in. I hope it wasn’t too much trouble. I am very sorry to have to call you over on such short notice, but it is a rather urgent matter that I hope we could both solve this as soon as possible. Very sorry lah Encik Zed.
o
You makan already Encik Zed?
o
Oh? Really? I agree sir the nasi daun pisang over at Kanna Curry House is the best, I go there a lot myself. Duduklah Encik Zed, sila sila. Would you like some coffee or tea?
o
Ok, just a moment Encik Zed. (goes out to order coffee from secretary)
o
I hope you don’t mind if I go straight to the point Encik Zed, I understand you are a very busy man and things like this just gets in your way. You see the reason we had to meet in person is that it has come to our attention that you have been blogging without a license for a while now and this seems to pose a problem as it is not only an issue of the “right thing to do” (using hand gesture to make brackets in the air) but also lost of revenue for the country. We are also concerned that without the proper controls nanti people post very controversial issues susah Encik Zed.
o
Oh, I can call you Zed? Okay, okay thank you. By the way minumlah Zed. Just kopi O only.
o
Anyway, as I was saying we also don’t really like the idea of being these virtual police as some have called us tapi we all cari makan lah Zed. It is very difficult to implement these new Blogging Censorship Law but the government has passed the law so we are just doing our job lah.
o
Hmmm… Is it? But according to our records your site is quite popular lah Zed, but in any case it doesn’t matter how popular a site is Zed, if you can say things in public even if one person see pun already enough to start a fire right?
o
No no we are not putting you under arrest heh heh sorry, I think you watch too many movies lah Zed, but there is a small fine. It’s only 100 ringgit and it also makes you eligible to apply for the Blogging Rights License that we issue.
o
Oh if you don’t pay the fine then we have to suspend your site and close it down lah. Anyway we still have to do that because it takes about two weeks to process your forms.
o
Huh? Blogaholic? And you have a doctor’s certification you say? Wow! This is the first time I heard of this. Hmmm… I have to ask my boss lah Zed. I never heard of an exemption before.
o
So anyway as for now it looks like I have to suspend your site lah Zed, unless you know, if you just want to settle it faster and then we maybe can work something out lah.
o
Err… if you want the forms to go through faster maybe I can help lah Zed, but it will cost you a bit more. You know laaa we all here makan gaji, very small so maybe some extra fee would be win win right?
o
Okay, so you just want to go through the whole process is it? No problem Zed no problem but I hope we could just forget the discussion just now lah ya?
o
Sure sure no problem, I will ask my boss if Blogaholic got exemption or not.
o
Maybe you can call me tomorrow? I will tell you what he says lah.
o
Yes yes that is all, again very sorry to drag you here Zed, and I do hope that your site can stay up. I ada baca sikit-sikit and I know people like you that don’t kacau orang suffer because of laws like this, but what to do. We have our law and the world have theirs so sometimes in a virtual world like the internet it does have problems for everyone.
o
Anyway, thank you Zed, and here’s my card and the standard Blogging Rights License Application Forms. You just need to fill it up and send it to one of our counters outside. Also as I said you can call me tomorrow to see what my boss says about the exemption lah.
o
Yes we suspended your site already this morning so you won’t have access to your blog until we issue you the Blogging Rights License. Very sorry Encik Zed, but like I said lah I cari makan only, what to do?
o
Heh heh that is very funny Zed but again sorry the Blogging Rights License don’t have P lah… heh heh P License macam kereta is it? So new bloggers get learners license lah he he he maybe that is a good idea lah Zed.
o
Okay okay thank you Zed for being very cooperative. Usually people get very upset over this things, I always kena marah one hmmm. Anyway like I said so many times this kind of things very difficult for everyone but since the our government decided that enough is enough so here we are having this conversation lah. Well anyway have a nice day Zed and hopefully I have some good news for you tomorrow ya.