Friday, December 02, 2005

Humanity i love you

because you would rather black the boots of
sucess than enquire whose soul dangles from his
watch-chain which would be embarassing for both
parties and because you
unflinchingly applaud all
songs containing the words country home and
mother when sung at the old howard
Humanity i love you because
when you're hard up you pawn your
intelligence to buy a drink and when
you're flush your pride keeps
you from the pawn shop and
because you are continually commitings
nuisances but more
especially in your own house

Humanity i love you because you
are perpetually putting the secret of
lifer in your pants and forgetting
it's there and sitting down
on it
and because you are
always making poems in the lap
of death Humanity
i hate you

e.e. cummings, La Guerre, II, 1925

Well e.e. cummings needs an introduction. A legendary poet in his own right he is popular from the 1920’s all the way to his death in 1962. The way his poems play with language (you will notice a few misspelled words in the poem above), and their simplistic view of the world gives them a unique character. Love poems and satirical squibs are Cumming’s favored forms. The way he writes, I believe that if Cummings was still alive today he would be one heck of an HTML programmer! By the way reading Cummings sometimes do remind me of another present day blogger with his own unique style.
(Zed’s Note: Yes MIV I mean You! LOL)

I chose this poem today because it could mean so many things to so many people. That is the beauty of poetry, everyone is allowed an interpretation. What a poem means to you is exactly what a poem means. What Cummings had in mind was perhaps a satirical view of war but in my mind it speaks about the selfishness of everyone of us. Always pointing to others not realizing that we ourselves are often guilty of hurting those that loves us without ever realizing it.

You’ll notice by now that I enjoy poems, artsy-pansy stuff and of course rambling on and on about irrelevant thoughts that sometimes cross my mind. Anyway, this time I want it to be all about you. I just want to be closer to you. Yes you, you the one reading these words right now. 

Yes I mean you. No, no need to look behind you, there is no one there.

Come. Come take a sit right here next to me. Sit, please go ahead - sit and get comfy.
Are you comfortable? Would you like another cushion? How’s your drink? Is it just the way you like it? Are you relaxed? Okay, that’s good…
...
...
...
So tell me, what is it that brings you here today? What thoughts did you feel like sharing with me today? What was it that went through your mind that made you feel like you have to share? Was it scary? Did it make you happy? Or perhaps did it make you sad?

No, no don’t worry there is nothing to be ashamed about. We are all human. We all feel, we all hurt, it is just that sometimes we have to put up a brave front, but don’t worry we all feel the same way. Sometimes it is difficult to share our feelings because we are afraid of what people might say, but hey! They too are feeling the same way, and their childish ignorance shows in their eyes if you know when to look. It’s okay, there is nothing to be afraid of here.

So go ahead, tell me all about it. I am here, and I am not going anywhere until you are done, I promise. It's okay you can take your time - I'll wait for as long as you want me to.