Friday, August 26, 2005

23 and counting...

Yup! Mind the gap. Two things came to mind as I read the papers today.

First, I had to take 64 and minus 41 - which explains the figure 23. This number I then take out from my age, suffice to say that, if ever, there is a girl in primary school that may one day end up being my wife, as the good Minister did mention "It is Fate"! Well, wonder what fate has in store.

Secondly, I wondered why the front page of the news is plastered with sensationalism (which obviously sells papers), while we just declared that the country's GDP is down to 4.1% growth.

Remember Akedemi Fantasia? That made it to the headlines too! Some kid, whom mark my words would be a has been in a few years time ends up getting national coverage, while the real news about what really is going on in the country ends up in Page 3.

Are we turning to tabloid junkies?

This is actually a good sign. Why you asked? It is a sign of progress. Take a shot at any newspaper from the UK or US. They have a swing between something blowing up or really tabloid type of news (ranging from either an actor or footballer sleeping with whores, or a politician dumb enough to get caught on camera looking like he just slept with a whore). Only a developed country could afford the pleasure of good and bad news. A "developing" country on the other hand has pictures of the President, Prime Minister or King either launching something or shaking hands with dignitaries.

We used to have the same kind of news. Things are different now. The reading public is not impressed with our leaders launching events or shaking hands anymore. That is just Page 3 news. Accidents you asked? Page 10 perhaps. Murders? Used to be news, nowadays? Well, unless you are a public figure, rest in peace.

I take it we have moved on as a country. In a way, I am proud. We are at the same shallow level as other developed nation citizens. Soon, we will forget who is the Minister of what, simply because we don't care, and who remembers the name of the King? Or what state is he from? Irrelevant right.

Well, just remember that complacency breeds ignorance. And this shallow blogger is glad that as we progress, the quest for real knowledge is quenched by mindless busybodies, and now I can stop my subscription for my papers. Just reading good blogs would do as it has more news and don't cost me a cent!

Hopefully, we still publish news about Merdeka?

Cheers.

No comments: