Tuesday, September 13, 2005

7 Malaysians kill themselves every day

1,700 suicides so far this year
Annie Freeda Cruez KUALA LUMPUR, Sun. NST

Suicides are taking a terrible toll on Malaysians with nearly 1,700 lives lost between January and Aug 31 this year.

(... NST)

The ministry’s health education division senior assistant director Wan Rokman Wan Yaacob said the most common forms of suicide in Malaysia were poisoning with pesticides and herbicides, hanging, jumping from buildings and drowning. "Recently, carbon monoxide poisoning from exhaust fumes of vehicles has been increasing," he told the New Straits Times in an interview in conjunction with World Suicide Prevention Day 2005, which Malaysia is observing tomorrow.

He attributed suicides to many complex and inter-related causes including poverty, unemployment, loss of loved ones, breakdown in relationships and a family history of suicide. (for the full article, please visit the NST archives...) He said early detection of school children with emotional, behavioural and academic problems could help them cope with such problems.

On the effect of media coverage of occurrences of suicides, he said that there was a link that had been identified some time ago. He said there was evidence that sensational reporting with details of methods used in suicide could lead to imitation suicides.

Meanwhile, it is learnt that at least one person commits suicide a day in Singapore with an average of 13 a day in Thailand.
______________________________________________________

Will someone tell me what is wrong with this picture? Here is an article which is oxymoronic at best! On one hand it tells you how to go and kill yourself, and then explains oops sorry, that's the whole reason why people are jumping off buildings. Annie? What is wrong with you? Slap the news on Page 1, and then wonder why we have 7 people commiting suicide? News Straits Times have really gone down the gutters. I should have followed my own advice and stick to blogging.

Anyway, my take on this? Who hasn"t contemplated suicide? Who hasn't said that enough is enough? Who hasn't wish that at some point of their life, there isn't a tomorrow?

Why didn't we do it?

Because we have a reason to live, and because we still believe in god. Take the two away, and what do you have left?
Exhaust fumes.

Cheers.

10 comments:

Angel Eyes said...

personally i think suicide is not the solution to any problems that we might have in this life. There are lotsa way to overcome the problem.

Why commit suicide? Why make our loved ones suffer till the rest of their life when we're gone. jz like that?

Most importantly, we still have our religion.. believe in God.. and trust me, everything's gonna be fine..

an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

zed, you can't blame the reporter for writing the way it was presented. she was given the facts and she merely reported them, trying to ensure that readers are not left with gaping information in between. that's news. that's not an op-ed piece.

the thing about suicide is this la. no one really wants to die but you just don't know the kind of decision you make in that split second ... to jump or not to jump, to down the pesticide or not.

dying sometimes is easier than facing the world.

Zed said...

hi angel,

next time i hear someone talk about committing suicide, i get them to talk to you kay. they gotta meet the angel =)

hi babe,

"dying sometimes is easier than facing the world"

my dear, angel would like to talk to you! =)

sorry, kidding!

thanks angel and babe for dropping by... am running on low sleep level due to insomnia attack. need to find "ubat ngantuks". got or not?

cheers.

p/s

my word verification? PUQQIZ!!! i am laughing my head off now! ROTFLMAO

Angel Eyes said...

zed,
i'll be very happy if i can give some advise to those who wanna commit suicide.. it's a no-no solution, trust me!

c'mon.. we human are here bcoz we have a mission.. God has created us, so we shld all be living happily..

dun ever think of dying before the time.. our time's not up yet!

Jo said...

ROTFL, well put zed!

Have i thought of suicide? NAH! As shitty as my life gets, I still cherish every bit of it. I contradict myself everytime I TELL U!

Pojan said...

I don't want to die. In fact, I never thought of dying either, like i'm somewhat invincible. This is unhealthy too. *sigh* I'm whacked.

Zed said...

Why the article attracted my attention?

I have always thought of me being a "manic depressive with suicidal tendencies", and I thought I was alone. Then I realized that there are more like me out there, and everyone needs a reason to live. I am sensitive to this issue, and it’s close to my heart. I have been on the edge too many times in my life, and was brought back only out of cowardice.

I am too afraid to die.

Zed said...

Befrienders Kuala Lumpur
95 Jalan Templer
46000 Petaling Jaya
SELANGOR Darul Ehsan
Malaysia

(03) 7956 8144
(03) 7956 8145

Website: http://www.befrienders.org.my/
Email: sam@befrienders.org.my

Zed said...

hi angel,

your offer shall be taken up =)

hi Jo,

life can be shitty eh... as far as contradiction goes? aren’t we all a bunch of charlatan? LOL

hi pojan,

death is part of a journey, one that we all are on… invincible? hmmm, nice feeling!

cheers.

Zed said...

papers... i tell ya' better off stickin' to blogs. now i gotta add one more arsenal to my kit.