Thursday, September 29, 2005

“Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed”

WEARY with toil, I haste me to my bed
The dear repose for limbs with travel tired;
But then begins a journey in my head
To work my mind, when body’s work’s expir’d:
For then my thoughts—from far where I abide—
Intend a zealous pilgrimage to thee,
And keep my drooping eyelids open wide,
Looking on darkness which the blind do see:
Save that my soul’s imaginary sight
Presents thy shadow to my sightless view,
Which, like a jewel hung in ghastly night,
Makes black night beauteous and her old face new.
Lo! thus, by day my limbs, by night my mind,
For thee, and for myself no quiet find.

William Shakespeare (1564–1616). The Oxford Shakespeare: Poems.

Can’t sleep. Not new. Been that way since time in memorial. Just a night person. Well and good. So be it. Anyway, here I am contemplating the day during the night, and wishing night when it is day. Sleep I can’t, yet awake I am tormented. Well?

This is a good time to stop reading if you are actually looking for some deep insights that might be making any sense. Fair warning has been given. Heed or proceed please only at your own risk.

I had an interesting conversation today.

It was about relationships. How it begins and inevitably how it often ends. Everyone is searching, and while it may make sense to look for the qualities one thinks makes a man or a women, it is also the same qualities that ends a relationship. Man seeks for a women that is caring? He then gets overwhelmed with exactly the same “care” that turned into a ball and chain and ends up having to make an excuse for an exit. She looks for a cool guy and one that is good looking. She ends up hating every moment that he is out on his own, because she knows that he is crowded with so many “other” women exactly because he is cool and good looking! She ends up suffocating the relationship – ending it nonetheless.

Why? Why do we seek for qualities when what we really need is company, conversation and congeniality in a person. Is there more? Sure there is more to a relationship, but it all boils down to two questions.

Two questions? Only? Yes!

The first?

Where are we now, and can we stay in this phase? I just met you. It has only been a few month. I like you, and we agree that we have “chemistry”, but can we not go to the next level yet? But can we still get in bed now? No? Why? Oh really? Okay. Well… we all know where this relationship ended.

Or perhaps it’s a yes! Okay lets get into bed, then the question arises again. Can we move to the next level? No? Why? Well if you went into bed with me that easily, I am not sure I wanna hang around. So really how many guys have you been to bed with? Huh? So many? Wow? It was really nice being with you, but can we just be friends? Hah!

The second?

Where are we heading? We "love" each other and we seem to get along well. Our friends agree and so does our family. It has been two years and I need to know if we are heading into something more serious? Really? Why? Don’t you love me? Marry me! Marry me! The words screams in her head, and he never understands why. Why my dumb bloke of a friend? Why you ask? Because it has been two years you nitwit zigouwit.

(Zed's Note: Yes, I made the word up. You can stop checking the dictionary already! Sheesh...)

The moral of this story?

Absolutely none. I am surprised you made it all the way here!

Now I am trying to get back to sleep. Shhh… be quiet.

11 comments:

Elina said...

You think of much deeper thoughts than me before I go to sleep...

kepala_angin said...

hmm.. i didn't know guys also think somewhat along the same wavelength as girls. or is it just you? *interesting..

Leilanie said...

kepala angin is so funny!

Anyway, Zed...... wait till you hit 30-something and you'll be able to sleep before you could say, "I'm sleepy".

L. Halim said...

so true... the reason why she wants him is also the same reason why they can't be together.

p/s: try counting the sheep if u can't sleep ;)

madnessinvain said...

Oiyysss. Malam tadi kau pun kantoi. Hahahahahahhahaha.


Err.. i was awake for my telecon, or was it ym? or was it skype? Hahahahahahahaa.

Jo said...

totoro, i guess it depends on the type of gal. There are those who are very 'liberated' and live as what every other metropolitan guy would. Date, have fun, go to "bed", but don't want commitments. Some find fulfilment in that. Some however, would like to settle down and grow old with the partner they see fit and are comfortable with. Soul mates as they say.

All in all, Zed... your article is something not alien to me. It has been almost the highlight of this year. Gosh? Gee Whiz? Yes... my life has been a roller coaster of emotional and events.. well, until I came to Penang to hopefully wind down.

Am I blabbing/farting again? *fart*
got to get that flatulence problem fixed!

Angel Eyes said...

R u sleeping, r u sleeping bro' zed, bro' zed... =)*sing along*

2 questions... and it was really worth it.. and enough said..

it all lies in each individuals. some might go for no-strings attached and some might want to walk to the aisle once they found their very soulmate..

and as for me.. am scared of a relationship..

an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

and they say living this life is easy.

Inn said...

i think this post is somewat adorable. dont ask. no idea why. the thought just sprang up.

Anonymous said...

no matter how many questions there are, there is no right or wrong in a relationship ... each is responsible for its own feelings.

hopeful i am still... even though i have been wounded, wounded by my own understanding of love.

Zed said...

hi elina

it's a curse =(

hi windy head,

actually most guys play dumb heh heh heh or is it me being too in touch with my feminine side? hmmm...

hi leilanie,

OMG! thanks! you think me so young! okay after this i buy you cornetto okay =) you made my day *blush*

hi butterflyn,

i did, then the sheep's turn to cows, and then the cows started flying and then it became starship enterprise with some kligons and then there was some x-wing fighters and then even buck rogers decided to join the party, and before you know it i had some kind of inter-galactic war in my head... heh heh heh

hi MIV,

we are now the nite-prowlers bro... heh heh heh (at least i have a par'dner in crime!)

hi totoro,

yup!

hi Jo,

your flatulence is welcomed here =) as for the roller-coaster? i have given up on soul mates coz i soon realize i like the soul but often not the baggage that entails, so might as well just enjoy the company, have fun be somewhat superficial and the time will come should a "next step" is fated for... he he he you fart i fart! (get it? get it? ROTFLMAO)

hi sheryl,

don't be scared... be definitive =) as long as we get what we want out of a "relationship" then its win-win. a relationship is not a destination, never will be. it's a journey.

sheesh... i think i am watching too much oprah LOL.

hi babe,

hidup pun susah... mati pun susah haiyaaa apa macam loh! heh heh heh "life's a bitch and then you die" sick isn't it?

i hope i am not depressing everyone? he he actually i hope i am *evil smile*

hi inn,

thanks! it came to me as i was having inter-galactic warfare in my head =)

dear ilyana,

it is the wounds that makes you a better person and a better "soul mate" i envy the next guy you are with, as they enjoy the maturity of your knowledge while they dwell in their own insecurities...

good luck!

hi totoro,

heh heh you are always welcomed 'ere. bed? i hope you are chatting with Jo! *nervous laugh* hmmm... Jo got space or not?

yo papa bear,

sorry bud, it was too out of whack it had to be whacked heh heh heh... cheers man.