Wednesday, September 07, 2005

ii. And she smiled, my smile.

I saw her head turn towards me, and I must have smiled unconsciously. And then she smiled. My smile, I could tell from a hundred miles that it was my smile. Not one of those fake, polite gestures, just because someone is staring kinda smile, but a real smile. With the eyes. A smile is in the eye, not on the lips. The smile was for me, not anyone else. I am on air at this point. Floating.

In my head, the racket of the place fell dead. Time slowed down. Everything but her was a blur. This is the nice side-effect of adrenalin. I got off my chair, and walked slowly towards her. In my head I decided to call her Brown Eyes, for obvious reasons. I knew others were watching. Everyone likes to see someone else humiliated. It's the roots of reality shows, and freak shows like "World's Greatest Videos". I don't care. This is about Brown Eyes, and what she thinks of me.

I came by her table, and approached her from her side. Never approach a lady from her front. It's confrontational, and gets her into a flight or fright mode, none of which would be helpful. Approach from the side, left or right it doesn't matter, but let her turn towards you in a relaxed manner, and acknowledge your presence. I said "Hi, my name is Zed and I noticed you coming in with your friends, do you mind if I join you for a minute?" then just let the words hang. Don't try to get her to say yes, or say a line which she obviously heard before. She is waiting for the line, "the pitch". The ensuing silence did catch Brown Eyes by surprise, as it registered in her face, and her friends faces I noticed.

She is evaluating her options, while her friends were being naughty, pinching her arms. She could either tell me to f*** off, and say that they are waiting for some other guys to join, or she could say "Sure have a seat". This is more unnerving for her, then it is for me. She is trying to decide her entire future based on this decision. Am I the person she wants to be seen with? Am I taken? Am I just another player? Me? I just want to have a chat.

Then she nodded. Just a nod. Very subtle.

I said thanks, and pulled a chair next to her. She smelled like a thousand roses. I love that in a women. Ladies should smell nice. Her friends were giggling, naturally. She had a fantastic name, but lets stick to Brown Eyes <for reason's that apparently is quite obvious names had to be removed, sorry folks - got into a bit of a jam for this one. yikes!> But I didn't compliment her on her name.

(Zed's Note: The worst way to impress a lady is by complimenting them on something they had nothing to do with, albeit their name, looks or figure - its cheap, uncreative and lame. If you want to say something nice, talk about her dress, her blinky gadgets, her shoes, even her perfume. It's something she chose, and it reflects good taste and shared interest, how wrong can you be?)

We spent some time going through the necessary pleasantries. How often are you here? Where do you work? How about your friends? Are you colleagues? I find her funny, this I enjoyed. Her friends we supportive, and that is important, as women needs validation. About half a drink later, I told her that I need to join my friends, and that I shall be back. There is a dumbfounded look all around. Brown Eyes gave me a weird look. Aren’t we hitting it off? Don't I want her number?

(Zed’s Note: At this point it would be good to refer to my previous entry last August – What women want?)

This is a gamble. One I shall explain.

7 comments:

kepala_angin said...

ahh, a guy that's well versed with the art of being a player. the next posting gonna be priceless..

Pojan said...

wah, every single thing is calculated eh? Must be that you have been doing a lot of practice. :D

Zed said...

hi k.a.

player? oops...

hi pojan,

practice? oops...

just love meeting people, and understand what makes 'em tick. people fascinate me, but there are times we could do without some of them!

Jo said...

deffinitely a playa!
lol. well if you're looking for a 'good time' and 'get it on' then I guess it wouldn't matter, but calculated acts are just as insincere if you are looking for companionship. Just go with the flow, if you both connect then its kismet. if you don't, it was never meant to be anyway.

Good luck on your conquest tho! :) cheers

Zed said...

hi silent,

may i seek compromise, and accept that i am a retired playa? =)

Zed said...

hi Jo,

welcome back! yup, that's exactly how i feel, you can't fake chemistry, but you could also benefit from not doing all the wrong things, and keep repeating it.

i just wish someone told me some of the things i had to learn the hard way. phew! wasted a few good years that way. heh heh, anyway if its meant to be... it will.

cheers.

Anonymous said...

Macam bagus. You just loooooove it when people stroke your ego. Being called a playa is a compliment to you - no doubt about that. Attention is what you seek sir, attention is what you get.

But next time mfucker, take a photo and share! Ahaks.