Monday, September 12, 2005

iii. The tables are turning.

She had dreamy eyes, hair down to her shoulders, long inviting neck and a million watt smile with a nice laugh to complement. Her skin was fair, with a body that screams "I was at the gym five minutes ago"! I can't help thinking that either she is on a "break" from guys, or there is a lucky soul somewhere that could be assured that his girl could hold her own. I never asked if she is single. I don't want to know, not yet.

I stood and extended my hands to Brown Eyes. She took it, and we shake. I left my hand out longer then necessary, and brushed her gently. Then I looked over to her friends and nodded my goodbye. I wanted Brown Eyes to feel special. Women are interesting this way. If they feel that you want them, they want you to acknowledge it. It's reaffirming perhaps?

As I turn to walk over to my table, I noticed Brown Eyes taking a quick sweeping look from my face down to my shoes. This is good. Women check men out. And besides the obvious, they oftentimes look for good taste. Your watch? Belt? Shoes? It makes who you are. They are not looking for brands, or expensive goods - just good taste. A man with a Tag Hauer, Rolex, Seiko, Guess it matters not. What matters is how the whole package comes together.

Why did I walk away?

Because, when a women think that they have you, the only option they have is to keep shopping. This is a design fault. Women doesn't settle on a choice as easy as we guys do. We see women as fickle, actually it's just a way of ensuring the survival of the species. If women makes bad decision, we have bad offspring, and lousy gene pools. So they have to keep shopping until they are satisfied that they either have no more options, or they settle on the fact that you are it.

If I hang around and keep talking, I might as well get on all four and go "Woof! Woof!" and wait for her to say "Fetch!", as I would never be able to hold her attention because she needs to keep a look out for other guys out there. I need to give her this space, and let her realize that the rest of the crowd are just horny, testosterone loaded mutts that is looking for a quick shag, which often is the case anyway. Sometimes, I wonder why men never realize this. It just makes it so easy.

As I walked, my buds was smiling and laughing. I turned to look at Brown Eyes and gave her a reassuring look "Our secret is safe my dear... I don't kiss and tell". One of my friends wanted to give me a high five. Don't, don't even think about it. As much as women love to be a trophy (or being considered worthy of being a trophy) they do not want to be treated like one. I shook my friend's hand instead. I took my seat, and pretended to make interesting conversation. I looked animated. I always have Brown Eyes at the corner of my eye, and I wanted her to see this. A few other fella’s tried their "luck" some even stayed long and kept pressing - obviously trying on lines after lines. But I have left Brown Eyes curious and challenged. Is she not worthy? Maybe I am just an asshole? Perhaps my girl is coming. She kept an eye on me too.

Brown Eyes played with her phone. A couple of text messages, and a few phone calls. She is telling me that she has friends too. The crowd is picking up, and soon someone may interest her more then me, or her guy friends may arrive. Timing is everything. In life, and believe it or not - in death.

I find that women are usually amongst one of these three when they are out and about.

1. They are out with their boyfriend or a guy she has a crush on
2. They came with colleagues celebrating something or just with casual friends
3. They are on a girl's night out

Look out for number 1, and stay away! Not a chance in hell, because to prove to their "guy" they are worthy, the best way is to reject another poor slob. And the rejection has to be obvious - preferably one that attracts attention! You don't want to be the slob - trust me.

As for 2 and 3? Perfect. Then it's all about chemistry. Please don't confuse chemistry with "you are my soul mate, and I want to have your child!". Chemistry is "this is a decent bloke, somewhat interesting and a bit of a gentleman. Maybe i should get to know him a bit more". Diving into the deep end rushes the conclusion, and now you will have to make a choice. Love at first sight? Leave that for Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. Patience is a virtue money can never replace.

I am confident that Brown Eyes is on 2. She arrived early, and it looks to me like there will be more to come as they chose a table bigger then they needed. Also, the fact that she is not dressed to kill says a lot. On a girl's night out, the babes are outdoing one another. Guys? Usually we are road kill, just means to an end. Women are extremely competitive, we mistake this for passion, possessiveness, love, and jealousy. The root of it all is to keep other women from dipping into her men's crown jewels, and breed a competing brood.

I knew I had to get back to Brown Eyes, before she thinks I am not interested. I walked to her table, almost skipping this time - just to show her how happy I am to be back with her. I took my seat, as if I belong and that I have known her forever. This is when I asked Brown Eyes if she would let me buy her a drink. Her friends are happily chatting away, and it felt like there was only the two of us there. In the crowd that we were in, we were alone.

Our eyes met, and I know. I know that Brown Eyes is lonely.

(Zed's Note: Who isn't? Who can say that I am truly fulfilled, that I am happy with all I have, and want no more. If you are out there, say hello. I would like to meet you, and ask you your secret!)

I can choose. I can turn the table to my advantage and make a romantic gesture, or I could...

8 comments:

ZR said...

I'd prefer a guy who comes over to say hello than one who just stares and smiles from far away, and hope sparks would fly. Like duhh. On the contrary, would guys freak out if we women come over and say hello, first?

Pojan said...

wow
very precise and true.
you are the wise one.
and ppl say no one can understand women. Clearly you can.

ku E said...

i lurvee yr style ;)

Zed said...

hi zr,

a guy that waits for you to come over, ain't much of a guy... and i know it's sexist, but no matter how much "butter" you slap on it, when a lady makes the first move - it makes her easy. i would love it, as the table have turned, and i get to play it any way i like it, heh heh right totoro?

cheers! and thanks for dropping a note =)

Zed said...

hi pojan,

welcome back! understanding women? hmmm... i guess the truth is, to not understand is better. ignorant is bliss, with my point of views - i am *screwed* either way i go. playing dumb kills me, playing it right? way too much work sometimes =)

cheer up ok... hope there is less stress at work today (monday being what it is - yucks!)

Zed said...

hi totoro,

thanks for dropping a note mate! as for straightforward women? tell me when you find one ya! LMAO...

hi ku e,

glad you enjoyed it... it was my pleasure =)

cheers!

Jo said...

au contraire!

Woof Woof alright! reminds me of someone I was dating. Unfortunately, he doesn't bark to the word FETCH. He was just a DAWG. D-A-W-G!

Fickle mindedness is not a womanly trait alone. I think it applies to both sexes alike. Yes, I have had experience with men who are fickle... and am still going thru it. DRIVES U UP THE WALL I TELL YOU!

Zed said...

hi Jo,

i can't help smiling... seriously! a big grin for you, ok now it's turning into a laugh! D-A-W-G!!! i am just imagining this picture of a poor bloke's head on a chihuahua, yapping away! now, i can't stop laughing!!!

fickled men? sorry... still laughing my head off! LOL LOL LOL