Sunday, September 18, 2005

When enough is just too much

You know when you were small, and you asked mom for your favorite candy? My mom had an interesting way of weaning me off these nasty habits. She would go out and buy a whole box of the same candy. As much as they would be able to sell her anyway. And then she would stuff the fridge with it. I usually never had the crave for the same candy ever again! Eating the same everyday, one gets a natural turn-off for these enamel obliterating sweeties.

This was how I grew up, and oftentimes how I conduct myself when I like something. I don’t dwell in mediocre moderation, I dive into the deep-end and ask, “That’s all you’ve got?”. No, I am not doing one of those Freudian “I have to attribute everything wrong with my life on mom” stunts, but I had an interesting weekend when I suddenly realized that I had enough of everything - that what’s missing became an enigma.

Am I too contented? Am I not thankful, as I probably should be counting my blessings rather then bitch about having too much? Have I lost my sense of adventure? I asked myself all these questions.

I realized this as I was nursing my SurfinTVnaholic, and found that I couldn’t do it anymore. Not for a second more.

I have had enough of TV, and I ponder if this placid existential activity should be taboo! From AXN all the way to MTV, nothing could keep me glued. I was dumbfounded, what happened? Then I decided that maybe I was too slack, and decided to get into my shorts and shoes for a run.

I ran.

Twenty five minutes later sweaty and drained, I still felt that something was missing. I walked a bit more, and hoped that it will come to me. What am I missing? What is nagging on the coat-tails of my soul that I should be paying attention to? I am as lost as I was at the beginning of this quest.

Flummoxed and mystified I realized one thing though. My mind was on overdrive. I was reeling from my thoughts of looking at myself in the third-party so much, that I became conscious of the obsessions that haunts me. I was writing about me, hence I had some sort of an out-of-body experience! This is daunting. I am scared of me! I fear what I say about myself. And now with all of you reading about me, I feel like there is this huge magnifying glass burning into my being. I am sorry that you are reading this entry, but I felt that the only way I can find peace for now is to profess my fears. Did this make sense? I wouldn’t know. But did it make me feel better? Well it is better then the TV and running, I’ll give it that. So my conclusion? Perhaps there will come a time, when enough is actually too much.

And when I logged on to post this entry, what did I find? Totoro tagged me! Well, I guess when in Rome… (Zed’s Note: Right back at’cha Totoro, a riposte for your tag coming soon! LOL)

Cheers.

7 comments:

Papa Bear said...

Erm. You thinking of being a novelist now? Geez. Now, you are stretching it like those Australian Home and Away or Neighbours SOAPS! Too long beb. 2

madnessinvain said...

Hello, alasan nak blogging la tu. Keh keh keh.

Joking aside, i constantly searching for things that can get me glued.Bring it on, bend and bind my mind please.

an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

it's never enough, it's never too much.

deep one, this one.

Angel Eyes said...

such a nice entry.. i like it zed. Kewl... go for ur dreams then..

Zed said...

papa bear,

you watch those things? how about bold and beautiful? tee hee hee... now i know why u so melodramatic LOL

but am sticking to my day job, most novelist i know are still starving!

yo MIV,

i am so busted! heh heh... so you are the one that ratted me out to the instructor! now i "kena" punish already... have to write

I WILL NOT SNEAK OUT AND BLOG 100x!

dear traveler,

i hope you enjoyed it while it last, but believe me this thing has a way of getting to ya' bro... i am sure i shall still be seeing you around mate! cheers.

hi babe,

i used to think so too... but the more you get, the more you realized it wasn't what you are after. that is why they say "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!"

hi angel,

welcome back! glad you passed your test =) am still hunting for a dream worth pursuing tsk tsk...

Jo said...

I think I'm going through the exact same thing you are now. However, after much tossing and turning, huffing and puffing.. I am still not able to find out what's missing.

I am constantly thinking, aloud and quietly. Sometimes I get so frustrated that i just want to scream! I am just so sick of analysing. Why? Who? But?

All I know is, i'm not contented, I'm not grateful, and I'm not happy. So all I can do is try.

Did i just make u more depressed?

Zed said...

hi Jo,

I kinda stopped reading after turning, huffing and puffin! but tried hard and got focused again =) hmmm... manic depressive's have a tough time getting more depressed ya, but aren't we a contagious lot!

hi totoro,

see? i said it was contagious LOL