Monday, September 12, 2005

Licensed to Chill

Had a great trip down to Jakarta.

One picture of a golf course will be the same as the next so I won't bore you with too many pictures of courses. The one here is at Bukit Pelangi. A great course with nice fairways, slick greens, and very subtle breaks. The Mines is child's play compared to this course. I had at least 6 regulation on's and managed to only convert half of it. A course up in the hills, so Bukit Pelangi has a nice cooling breeze while the sun showers you throughout the game. Shot a 92 with 3 pars, and interestingly enough played exactly the same score at Chenkareng.

The toad is the 150m marker at Chenkareng, and he cracks me up! The course is a resort course just 5 minutes from the airport. A golfing trip to Jakarta without Chenkareng is a real loss. Once you have played there you'll know what I mean. It has a feel good effect, and since it's a walking course, I suggest that you don't exert yourself too much early in the game.

I went around in the Bajaj (pronounced ba-jaie) a few times, and find the ride hair raising. Not something I would recommend if you are not familiar with Jakarta though, or if you are traveling alone.

The other thing I really enjoy at Jakarta is the food. The following are a couple of restaurants that I recommend highly. They are very popular, and any taxi driver should be able to get you there. (Also would recommend the Silver Bird or Blue Bird taxies only, as they have a good reputation, and goes strictly by the meter - most of the time)

Hotel Borobudur

Sop Bontot! Don't let the name freak you out. Its actually oxtail soup or "Sup Ekor". You have not tasted oxtail soup, until you have had it at Hotel Borobudur. It is acclaimed as the best in Jakarta, and having tasted it, I know why. Melts in your mouth, and with less fat then the average soup we have here in KL, it comes without the guilt. Do not be in Jakarta and miss out on this treat.

Pondok Sedap Malam

Seafood galore. One of the best seafood restaurant I have been to. The catch is fresh, and cooked at your request. Careful with the chili as it has a pretty good sting to it.

Dapur Sunda

If you have tried the Sundanese Restaurant in KLCC, then you will be able to appreciate the “Dancing Fish” that is a popular dish when it comes to Sundanese cuisine. Here is the original recipe. A night out here will send you back to KL thinking how the Sundanese have got it made. It is also said that the most beautiful women in Indonesia are the Sunda’s. I have to admit, they are right.

Garuda

Forget all the Nasi Padang you have tried. This is the real thing. Padang is a place in Indonesia, and is not to be mistaken for “field” which is what Padang means. The fried chicken here is one that I will be missing until my next trip back.

Medan Baru

Rumah Makan Medan Baru
Jalan Krekot Bunder
No. 65, Jakarta

I had to include the address for this one as it really is where the locals go. It's Achehnese, and not something we are normally accustomed to. However, I can assure you that you will take immediate liking to it. It has the best Fish Head Curry in the region, and being laced with "ganja" obviously helps! We had a blast at this joint, and between us, I think seven fish sacrificed their heads. When you are here look for Pak Ibrahim (he owns the place), and mention that Pak Steven sent you there - VIP treatment you shall enjoy.

I have to thank Pak Steven, Pak Hendrok and Pak Andi for having taken very good care of us. Guys you are the best host, and friend a man can find! Also, thank you Pak Hendrok for the blog title.

As for the next episode of what happened with Brown Eyes, I have included an update. I hope you enjoy reading it, as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Cheers.

4 comments:

Angel Eyes said...

and now i'm hungrrryyy! Grrr...

an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

i think i hate you, man!!!! i spent my weekend sulking ... hahaha ... and rolling about like a beached whale.

Zed said...

hi angel,

hmmm... sudah makan?

hey babe,

rolling around CAN be FUN too you know =) LOL

cheers.

Zed said...

hi totoro,

it's interesting how a country is measured by it's public transportation ya. am glad it never picked up in KL... would probably still be around, yikes!